Turkey Cooking Guide
- Set your oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 5.
- For accurate timing, always weigh your turkey after it has been stuffed. If it’s very large, you may need to use bathroom scales.
- The latest advice from the British Turkey Information Service is that if the turkey is over 4kg, calculate 20 mins per kg + 90 mins. If the bird is under 4kg, calculate 20 mins per kg + 70 mins.
- To test if it’s done, make sure the juices run clear when you pierce the thigh where it meets the body. If not, put it back in the oven for another 20 mins, then test again.
- Allow 30-45 minutes for a large joint or turkey to rest
- Put the meat in a wam place, tented with foil. During this time the roast will finish cooking, become juicer and easier to carve – and don’t worry it won’t get cold.
Example cooking times from britishturkey.co.uk
7kg – 3 hours 50 minutes + 30-45 minutes resting time 6kg – 3 hours 30 minutes + 30-45 minutes resting time 5kg – 3 hours 10 minutes + 30-45 minutes resting time 4kg – 2 hours 50 minutes + 30-45 minutes resting time 3kg – 2 hours 10 minutes + 30-45 minutes resting time
Need further help?
The British Turkey helpline, 0800 783 9994, is open from 9am-5pm, from 1 December 2019 right up to Christmas Eve. This year, the service has recently been extended to include a live chat function at britishturkey.co.uk. You can also text the word ‘turkey’, followed by the weight of your bird in kilos, to 64446 and you’ll get an instant answer on the cooking time and how many it will feed. This service starts on 1 December and runs 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. (Texts are charged at standard network rate.)ADD_THIS_TEXT