This tangy, crunchy, fresh salad is beautiful on its own for a light summer meal or the perfect side to share with any BBQ meat.
- 1 clove of garlic
- 3 oranges
- 1 teaspoons of dried chilli flakes
- red wine vinegar
- extra virgin olive oil
- 100g red cabbage
- 1/2 cucumber
- 6 small heritage carrots
- 4 sprigs of fresh mint
- 1 eating apple
- 50g wild rocket
- 200g ball of burrata
- Halve the garlic clove and rub the cut sides all over a large severing platter
- top and tail the orange, trim away the peel and cut into rounds and arrange on the platter
- in a pestle and mortar, bash the chilli flakes with 1 teaspoon of sea salt until fine, then scatter of orange slices, drizzle with 3 tablespoons of red wine vinegar and leave to marinate.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the cabbage. Peel the cucumber, half length ways, remove seedy core and cut into small chunks.
- Wash the carrots and and finely slice lengthways.
- Pick the mint leaves, slicing or tearing large ones. core the apple and slice into thin wedges then place it all on the platter with the rocket. Season with salt and pepper, then gently toss together with your fingertips to dress.
- Tear open the soft, oozy burrata, place on top of the salad, drizzle with a little more olive oil, sprinkle over the remaining salt and chilli and serve.
Recipe and photo credit: Jamie Oliver